Nominate a Book for the 2015 Arab American Book Award
We are now accepting submissions for the 2015 Arab American Book Awards, honoring books published in 2014. The deadline to submit a book for consideration is February 15, 2015. Winners will be announced in late spring 2015.
2015 Criteria and Submission Form
About the Arab American Book Award
The Arab American Book Award encourages the publication and excellence of books that preserve and advance the understanding, knowledge, and resources of the Arab American community by celebrating the thoughts and lives of Arab Americans. The purpose of the Award is to inspire authors, educate readers, and foster a respect and understanding of Arab American culture.
Winners and honorable mentions may be presented annually in these categories:
• Adult Non-Fiction (The Evelyn Shakir Non-Fiction Award)
• Adult Fiction
• Poetry (The George Ellenbogen Poetry Award)
• Children/Young Adult, Fiction or Non-Fiction
Each winter, the Arab American National Museum’s Library & Resources Center issues a call for award submissions. To be eligible for consideration for the 2015 awards, a book must comply with the following criteria:
• The book must be written, edited or illustrated by an Arab American, or address the Arab American experience.
• The book must be an original work and published in English between January 1 and December 31, 2014.
• The portrayal or representation of Arab Americans should be accurate and engaging, avoid stereotypes, and reflect rich characterization.
Submissions are reviewed by committees that represent a variety of constituencies: previous winners, librarians, and Arab American scholars. When selecting winning titles, reviewers take into account a book’s overall quality, including its writing and originality. For non-fiction titles, reviewers also consider the relevancy, sufficiency, and accuracy of a book’s information. After verifying a submission’s eligibility, Arab American National Museum staff takes no part in the reviewers’ deliberations.