2008 Arab American Book Award
The Arab American Book Award was established in 2006. The 2008 Book Award will be announced in the spring of 2009. An Award will be given to an author or illustrator in each of the following categories:
- Adult Non-Fiction in the areas of the Social Sciences and Humanities
- Adult Fiction, including Arts and Literature
- Children or Young Adult, Fiction or Non-Fiction
The Arab American Book Award encourages the publication and excellence of books that preserve and advance the understanding, knowledge, and resources of the Arab American community by celebrating the thoughts and lives of Arab Americans. The purpose of the Award is to inspire authors, educate readers and foster a respect and understanding of the Arab American culture.
Procedures and Criteria for 2008 Award
The Arab American National Museum invites submissions of published works for the 2008 Arab American Book Award. Submissions can be made by either the publisher or the author. The person submitting should complete the Arab American Book Award Submission Form and clearly indicate compliance with the following criteria:
- The book must be written, or illustrated by an Arab American, or address the Arab American experience. See below for a list of the 22 Arab countries.
- The book must be an original work and published in English between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008. First translations accepted.
- The portrayal or representation of Arab Americans should be accurate and engaging; avoid stereotypes, and reflect rich characterization.
- Submissions must be postmarked or shipped by February 1, 2009.
TO SUBMIT A BOOK
Deadline: February 1, 2009
Send the AA Submission Form and four copies of the published book to:
Kristin Lalonde, Library Assistant
Arab American National Museum
Library and Resource Center 313.624.0223 (direct line)
13624 Michigan Avenue 313.624.8539 (fax)
Dearborn, Michigan 48126 firstname.lastname@example.org
All books submitted become the property of the AANM.
22 Arab countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros Islands, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
08 Arab American Book Award Submission Form